Friday, December 07, 2007

This Day In History

Sixty-six years ago today, Pearl Harbor was attacked. In total, 2,403 people were killed, mostly in the first fifteen minutes. They say cause of death for the majority of soldiers was suffocation or drowning. Today there are memorials across the nation honoring those who served and to remember the attack that entered us into WWII.

Sixty-six years ago today was also my grandma's cousin Ethel's wedding day. As they prepared for the wedding, fussing over dresses and hair, flowers and lipstick, my grandfather had the radio on and tried to tell the group what was happening. No one would listen. As my grandma put it, "Hawaii might as well have been on the moon. We were so isolated then. Just so sheltered."

My grandfather understood the depth of the attack, and knew right away we'd enter the war. He told my grandmother he had to enlist. She just looked at him like he was exaggerating and continued fussing with the girls. Poor Ethel, talk about someone raining on your parade.

By the time the ceremony finished, it was the only topic of conversation. All the young men in the family gathered around the table discussing what branch of service they would enter. No one wanted to be drafted and left without a choice.

The women tried to make the best of the celebration but couldn't ignore the cloud over the festivities. Definitely NOT your typical Jewish wedding filled with music and dancing til' the wee hours. The bride and groom left on their honeymoon as planned, but nothing was the same after their return. There would be rationing and coupons, women in the workforce, internment camps and air raid drills.

My grandfather joined the air force and was stationed in Italy. His cousin joined too and eventually flew B-52 bombers. My grandma said it was hard being away from him so long, but most of the women she knew had a husband stationed overseas. They banded together and watched after one another. Ahhh, the strength of women in numbers! I don't know much about my grandpa's time in Italy except my grandma said he enjoyed the country and the food. (Go figure.)

She also said something a few months back that stunned me silent. Before we decided to go to Argentina we planned on going to Italy. My grandma, completely off-handed says, "well, if you see anyone that resembles your grandfather, don't be surprised!"

WHAT??? EEEW. WHAT???? OH GROSS. (*twitch and shudder.*)

I shouldn't have done this but I asked, "You mean, he wasn't faithful?"

She said, "Sweetie, he was gone two years. I'm no dope. In those days you turned the other cheek and didn't discuss it. As long as he came home healthy, that's all I cared about."

And to think people still dismiss the elderly, when they have such gems like this story to share!

No comments: