Thursday, December 06, 2007

Martha Stewart Rules

How much do I love Martha Stewart? For one, I heard on Howard Stern the other day that she hated the tree in the Sirius lobby, so she came in with her "team" over the weekend and revamped it- Martha style. She even made a cookie ornament of Howard and Beth. She's just so cheesy and over the top sometimes but how can you not adore her?

Although I don't think I'll ever be the kind of person to bake pies with eggs laid by my hens and apples from my orchard, I really do appreciate her Everyday FOOD recipes. They're just snazzy enough to make you feel like a chef, yet easy and accessible to the average Jane. Especially THIS average Jane who doesn't get home til' 7:30 at night and the only prepping I can stand before dinner is uncorking the wine.

As I said before I bought some ground lamb and was looking for a recipe. I chose this one from Martha's website and it was a knock out. Only problem was I overdid it on the salt. And by overdid it I mean I used salt when I really didn't need to. The hummus, lamb and artichoke hearts have enough flavor on their own. We ate the leftovers for dinner last night, (I made four pizzas total,) and they reheat beautifully. If you're looking for a quick Mediterranean weeknight meal, this one is for you. I served it with a spinach salad with walnuts, tossed in Giada's dressing. Finally all these hours of watching Food Network are paying off.

Lamb Pita Pizzas

Ingredients

Serves 4

  • 4 regular-size (6-inch) pitas, split
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 containers (8 ounces each) store-bought hummus (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
  • 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts in water, rinsed, squeezed dry, and quartered
  • 1/2 pound ground lamb or beef
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • Lemon wedges

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange pita halves, cut side up, on two baking sheets; brush with oil.
  2. Spread pitas with hummus; top with peppers, artichoke hearts, and lamb. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake until pitas are golden and crisp and lamb is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley; serve with lemon wedges.


Assembled and ready to throw in the oven!
Finished product. Look how pretty!
In other news, I just found out that two of my bridesmaids are pregnant. One of the girls I've known since the ninth grade, and to picture her as a mom just makes me gush. In fact, she was always the "mom" of the group. She always drove, always had lunch money if one of us didn't, always tried to keep us out of trouble and was the first person to give you a hug if you were having a bad day. Most definitely one of the most nurturing people I've ever met. When we were in Vegas for my bachelorette, she was the one shoving vitamin C and water down our throats. Yep, she's gonna be a great mom.

I just recently went through a pregnancy scare and I have to admit, it was really freaky. On one hand I was terrified that I wasn't ready. We'd drank wine the whole time in Argentina and we are no closer to having a house. Yet, the other part of me almost felt relieved to be shoved into the situation where I couldn't obsess about it. In other words, I knew I'd keep it either way, so if I was indeed pregnant, so be it! Turns out I wasn't but I'm having some ovulation issues. I had to go to the doctor to get a shot of hormones to induce my period. Not pleasant. As I told my husband this morning, it feels like Dick Cheney shot me in the a**. I can't help but be paranoid there's something wrong with my plumbing but my doctor assured me skipping a period is really common. Especially right after discontinuing the pill.

I think 2008 will be huge for us. This year was pretty uneventful short of the trip to Argentina. I really hope to be in a home and pregnant next year.

(Did you hear that Santa?)

No comments: