Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I'll have a Veggie Burger with a side of hypocrisy

Today is day seven of no meat. I'm really taking my resolution seriously and for a moment I started to pat myself on the back. One whole week of me not contributing to the mistreatment of animals! Not too bad. Has my PETA card arrived? Pam Anderson's gonna be my new best friend!


However, I have been eating enough fish these past few days to have every stray cat in the neighborhood surround my car when I get home. And from what I've read, the fishing industry isn't much better. But ya know? I can only do so much! I haven't committed to cutting meat out completely, but I must admit this last week didn't require that much effort or sacrafice.

Yesterday at the grocery market I did buy a pork tenderloin and ground turkey. I told my husband I'd cook the tenderloin, (which he LOVES,) tomorrow night. But to be perfectly honest, I could go another week meat-free. It's not fair for me to expect him to eat twigs and berries with me just because a book inspired me. Also we're going out to dinner for a friend's birthday here Saturday night and you bet your tushy I'll be getting me some braised meat! YUMMMMM.

In other news, last night the Hubbie and I had a lovely dinner, (salmon cakes over salad) and wine and discussed going to Italy. I showed him the cities I wanted to visit and told him a rough itinerary I was thinking about. He asked that I put it all together for him with prices of air, hotel, lodging, trains- all in an easy to read fashion. Than said, "That's not too much for you is it?"

The smile on his face indicated he was kidding. He knows nothing gets me hotter than making little organized binders for trips. I get little ONE thru TEN dividers and print color pictures and hotel ideas off the internet. Map directions, currency conversion tables, population and ethnicity rates....

I like to be prepared.

A good friend of mine called me C R A Z Y when I told her how much I was looking forward to doing "The Book." She said all she needs to travel is a plane ticket, sunglasses and a throw away camera. What are you kidding?

Different strokes I guess.

No comments: